Tag Team Review: Sin and Tonic (Sinners #6) by Rhys Ford

Miki St. John believed happy endings only existed in fairy tales until his life took a few unexpected turns… and now he’s found his own.

His best friend, Damien, is back from the dead, and their new band, Crossroads Gin, is soaring up the charts. Miki’s got a solid, loving partner named Kane Morgan—an Inspector with SFPD whose enormous Irish family has embraced him as one of their own—and his dog, Dude, at his side.

It’s a pity someone’s trying to kill him.

Old loyalties and even older grudges emerge from Chinatown’s murky, mysterious past, and Miki struggles to deal with his dead mother’s abandonment, her secrets, and her brutal murder while he’s hunted by an enigmatic killer who may have ties to her.

The case lands in Kane’s lap, and he and Miki are caught in a deadly game of cat-and-mouse. When Miki is forced to face his personal demons and the horrors of his childhood, only one thing is certain: the rock star and his cop are determined to fight for their future and survive the evils lurking in Miki’s past.

4.75 average


Adam - 4.5 Hearts

And so it comes to an end! I’m sad to see the Sinners series go, but I’m so happy with how Rhys Ford wrapped it up.

‘Sin and Tonic’ picks up a few months after book #5. Miki’s the happiest he’s ever been. The band’s doing well, the Morgan family is smothering him with familial love, and, most importantly, Miki and Kane are still head-over-heels in love with each other.

The only thing that threatens Miki’s perfect life is the mystery of his past.

description

Throughout this series, there’s been one major unanswered question - where did Miki St. John really come from? Book #6 finally gives readers answers, and they explain so much about Miki’s life and the man he became.

I won’t give away any spoilers, but I will say that this was a wild ride from start to finish. In true Rhys Ford fashion, there is never a dull moment. This is definitely a nail-biter of a book! With each new twist and turn, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next.

In the midst of the drama and as new secrets are revealed, Miki’s pushed to the brink. It was awful to see what he goes through, but Miki ends up stronger and happier for it in the end.

And throughout it all, Kane stands right by Miki, a solid rock for Miki to lean on. Kane and Miki have been a done-deal since book #1. This final book doesn’t add anything new to their relationship, but is instead an affirmation of the love the two men have for each other.

I loved seeing how all the two needed to feel whole and centered again was to reconnect at the end of the day. Mike and Kane are two halves of a whole, and they’re truly each other’s home.

description

And of course, there’s also the Morgan clan and their extended family. I don’t think I’ll ever get enough of that big Irish family and all the love they bring!

Overall, this was a great end to the Sinners series. It has everything that makes this series one of my favourites - an enduring romance, well-rounded characters, an entertaining mystery with lots of action, and strong themes of family and healing. I can’t recommend this series enough!

Fantasy Living - 5 Hearts

I always feel a bit raw coming out of a Ford novel, and I have to say this one left me a little bloody. I think it’s because this author has an amazing talent for writing emotion into her characters. Miki is shown in so many ways, from his snark and damage, vulnerability, and the fire within him that has kept him living all these years. Even when he was giving up in the first book of this series, there was a spark there that could be nurtured, and has been sustained throughout the series. His growth and awakening have been a pleasure to experience.

Kane and Miki have been through a lot and it’s not over yet, but through everything their connection is solid, their love is sustained. They will fight for each other, and they continue to build and strengthen their relationship so it is impenetrable. It has been an amazing journey of character development between these two. Miki now has a family that will always stick by him and he is learning he is not disposable. He matters.

By now it should be known that Rhys Ford is a favourite of mine. I can’t say I’ve not enjoyed any of her books. The writing style always pulls me in and surrounds me. I feel like I’m wrapped in magic and living in it while I read. The characters are worth investing my time in, even the villains. The connections made during the story is deliberate and well plotted out. I’m sad this is the end of this series, but it was worth the journey, and I felt every moment of it.

Some of this story was really hard. I shed tears and had to take a break. Miki sometimes goes to a dark place, and being wrapped up in all that emotion is consuming as a reader. Complete credit to the author for being able to twist my emotions and keep me there for as long as needed. I expect it by now, but it is still amazing to me how that works.

The Morgan family play a big part in Miki’s life beyond just Kane and their relationship. The whole family has gotten behind him and Damien and loved them the way they deserve. Each family member plays an important role in their lives, showing them that they are equally important and loved as individuals. Miki’s interactions with Donal melt me every time. To be wrapped up in that much parental warmth and love… makes my heart sing. It’s going to be hard to let them all go, but that is why books are forever. So I can read and feel surrounded all over again.

If you haven’t started this series, you should. It is pretty moody but with the warm embrace of the Morgans’ to keep you going. This was everything I expected from a series finale from Ford and I know everyone who loved the first 5 books, will love this one more.

A review copy was provided for an honest opinion



No comments:

Post a Comment